Thursday, August 28, 2008

Diving the living time capsules

Every morning I have woken up at 4:00 am in anticipation of the day of diving.  I feel like it is Christmas Eve every night I go to bed on the Island of Truk.  We have been eager to dive as many wrecks as possible.  Every night we stay up and research out the next days dive.  Rhonda found the best book that tells the history of each ship it's purpose in the war,  it's contents ie:  tanks, guns, cargo holds ect... and of course it's condition today.  most ships have torpedo holes big enough to drive a truck through.  Usually that is the way we gain entrance into the interior of these massive giants of twisted steel.  We have bright LED and HID flash lights that illuminate our way.  Most of the time there are bright glowing green windows of light shining through to help with visibility.  I feel like we have literally taken a time capsule back in time and have visualized the war and what it might have been like during the bombing.  On a dive yesterday we dove 175 feet to the San Francisco and as we landed on the deck we were greeted by hundreds of Jelly Fish ready to attack us!  It reminded me of ww2 photos of anti aircraft artillery being shot at our American Fighter Planes.  I will post the photo at http://gallery.me.com/stevenlfrost  The Jelly fish were so annoying I finally had to start punching them to stun them and then they fall away from us!haha
Anyways this particular wreck carried bull dozers old cars and lots of bombs.  Check out the old 1940ish looking trucks and cars.  Very vintage!  After a 15 minute bottom time we make our way back to the ascent line and start our long Deco time on the line.  As we move up the line slowly beneath us swarm 7 white tip reef sharks that look very hungry.  Fortunately they weren't more than a visual threat. As we ascend our bodies rid themselves of built up nitrogen accumulated while diving.  It takes 30 minutes of hanging on the lines to do the trick.  Right before getting on the boat a school of baby squid come to hang out with me!  Very fun.  Well, that was half of my day.  A 2 hour surface interval and we are ready to go back in the water.  This time it is off to the Betty Bomber.  A downed plane a half mile from the Eten Field Airport 1946.  It is a lot like our b-52 bomber.  Of course at depth it is a mess although the fuselage is pretty much still intact.  Once back on top of the water we head back to the Blue Lagoon for a dinner of Rice and some sort of Stir Fry Beef.  Not too bad.  
Well, tomorrow is the last day of this Journey.  I can't wait to get back and share all of our pictures.  Diving has only been part of this adventure.  I have learned a lot about Truk and World War 2 and my own version of the Discovery Channel Steve Frost Style...

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Come Home!!!!!!!!! Haha i was watching a dive show on wreck diving last night. I felt like I was with you. Ha ha. Cant wait to visit

Noelle said...

Consider yourself added! I wasn't sure if this was a trip thing or if you'd continue it after you got home. Cool on my live feed It shows a post from Micronesia.

5 Frogs and a Princess said...

Dr. Frost! It's me Ali I used to work at the office. I sure HOPE you remember me! I just found your blog on Kim's....I miss you guys tons! Looks like you are busy as ever and having too much fun along the way! Tell Rhonda HI,I hope you are all doing well!